I think I found a bug in Microsoft Excel 2013. It is not a major bug, but annoying like most bugs.
Do you see the same thing when you try it on your machine?
Do you see it in other versions of Excel?
Let me know in the comments below.
When changing the border formatting on a chart data series from Automatic to No Line, Excel changes the formatting option to a Solid Line.
Steps to Recreate
1) Create a Clustered Column Chart
2) Select a data series in the chart and press CTRL+1 to bring up the Format Data Series Dialog box.
3) Select the Fill and Line options menu
4) Change the Border to No Line
5) Notice that Excel changes your selection to Solid Line
What other bugs have you found in Excel? Let me know in the comments below as well.
I only looked at 2013.
I may be wrong, but “Automatic” by default appears to be no line. If that is true, then there is no reason to go from “Automatic” to “No line”. Excel assumes that if you don’t want the default of no line, there is no reason to choose “No line”, so it picks “Solid line”.
Thanks Don. I am not sure why, but I was changing it for some reason 🙂 I think Excel should let me choose what I want, not guess 🙂 It appears that this was different in Excel 2010